OUAB in the Kitchen
Join OUAB Grad/Prof in the Instructional Kitchen at the Ohio Union for a chance to cook a meal of your own under the guidance of the Union's own professional chef, Chef Marc. Choose from a wide range of course themes. Following a cooking demonstration by the chef, students will collaborate with class members to create the menu, providing a unique hands-on learning opportunity. In this fun and interactive environment, students will enjoy a delicious meal and gain useful culinary skills to show off in their own kitchens. Whether you are a master chef in your own kitchen or a novice, there is an OUAB in the Kitchen program for you.
- Due to the overwhelming demand for the cooking classes, we are limiting attendance to two (2) classes per person total (whether you are the primary registrant or guest) each semester. Students are still welcome to RSVP for one non-student guest, please include student name upon registration.
- Please note that due to safety, children under the age of 15 are not permitted to attend OUAB in the Kitchen cooking classes unless explicitly stated in the class description.
- Registration is completed via a single web form. Notice of selection for a class will be sent to your email. In order to confirm your attendance, please respond to the email by the designated time. Students may preference a total of five (5) classes via the online registration process. If classes are not full within three (3) days of the event date, we will open up the waitlist to those who have yet to confirm spaces in two (2) cooking classes.
- All classes will be posted at the beginning of the term. Like us on Facebook for the first notification of when all classes are posted on the OUAB website.
- When selecting the appropriate attire, please follow the guidelines below. Failure to dress within the guidelines may prevent you from participating.
1. Closed-toe shoes are required. Flip-flops, sandals, high heels, or any open-toed or vented shoe are not permitted.
2. Please wear clothing that fully covers your legs (long pants, ankle length skirt, etc.)
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I register to attend a cooking class? Students interested in participating should complete the sign-up above. In the sign-up, students are able to preference their top five (5) classes and will be assigned to courses pending availability. Students are not guaranteed a position in any class regardless of stated preferences.
- What do I wear? All participants must wear close-toed shoes. The classes are extremely interactive and hands-on so please dress to cook!
- Do I need to bring anything? Aprons and all needed equipment will be provided. Copies of the recipes used during the class will also be provided.
- Are children allowed in the cooking classes? Due to safety, children under the age of 15 are NOT permitted to attend OUAB in the Kitchen cooking classes unless explicitly stated in the class description. If a cooking class is noted as being appropriate for children, it is required that one adult be present for every two (2) children.
- Is there a limit to the number of classes that I can attend? Due to the demand for instructional kitchen courses, OUAB Grad/Prof has doubled the number of classes offered each semester. In an effort to accommodate as many students as possible, students are limited to two (2) courses per semester.
- When will I find out if I'm in a cooking class? Rosters for the cooking class will be released at least two weeks before the class is scheduled. For students requesting attendance at OUAB in the Kitchen classes more than two weeks in advance, we will respond to you as soon as possilbe, but please allow for up to 3 weeks from the initial request. You will be required to confirm your attendance upon receipt of an email within 5 days of the class. If you are awarded a spot in the course but do not confirm your intent to attend via email, your spot may be forfeited due to the high demand for these courses.
- I received an email that I'm in the class. Is that it? Please make sure that you respond to that email to confirm your intent to attend the course upon receipt of the email sent within 5 days of the class. Failure to confirm your attendance may result in the forfeiture of your spot.